Wednesday, November 03, 2004

An Open Letter to President Bush

Dear President Bush,

Congratulations. Today you have succeeded in being re-elected to a second term as President of the United States. You and our country are in my prayers.

I must tell you, as an evangelical "security mom" with conservative family values, I was still anguished over who would receive my vote yesterday. I was in prayer over my vote for weeks. Although I appreciate your intention to create a culture of life, your desire to appoint Supreme Court Justices who strictly interpret the Consitution instead of legislating from the bench, and, most especially, the superb way that you lead our country directly after the terrorist attacks of September 11, I have very deep concerns.

As a committed Christian person, and as a leader who once claimed Jesus Christ as the primary philosopher who influences your decisions as a statesman, I have many concerns regarding the war in Iraq. First of all, violence should be our last resort as a great country, not our first. Second, when in your judgment as Commander in Chief you decide that we must go to war in order to defend ourselves, you must have the best intelligence as well as the appropriate preparation for unintended consequences. Many brave American and coalition soldiers as well as Iraqi civilians and other non-military civilians have died because of our poor planning and lack of foresight in this war. Even when the intelligence with which you persuaded this country to pre-emptively attack Iraq was proven to be less than reliable and the conflict itself has proved to be bloodier and longer than anticipated, you have never expressed anything less than total resolve and self-assurance that your decision was appropriate. Mr. President, as believers in Christ, we are called to humble ourselves when we err and to seek peace before war. I pray that when you make decisions that impact our country and our world for generations to come, that you would seek wise counsel and the peace that passes understanding so that you may be numbered among the blessed peacemakers in the world.

Mr. President, yesterday I voted for Senator John Kerry instead of you after having voted for you in the 2000. I did so with deep reflection and with tears, and pray that you would rise not only to the challenge of leading the most influential country in the world, but to follow the example of Jesus Christ in all that you do. May God richly bless you and your family as well as our nation.

Sincerely,


MicahGirl

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you are an "evangelical security Mom", with conservative family values, and presumably a follower of Jesus Christ. Given those things, I am surprised you could cast your vote for a man who believes in the taking of innocent unborn lives, is at best a pathological liar, and in war-time admittedly shot innocent civilians in the back....and you had problems with Bush?

6:49 AM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

My vote, as a mentioned, was not an easy decision as I am indeed pro-life and very conservative on most issues. However, the war in Iraq also is an issue of life and although I understand that I am swimming against the tide of most conservative evangelicals, I was voting against the war more than voting for Kerry. I respect your point of view and hope that you can respect mine.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?