Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Moses or Pharaoh?

Reading through the one year bible on line (click on above title to see today's reading) still...

The commentary from bible.org about how God hardens the hearts of the Egyptians really got me thinking... The writer supposes that the hardening of the heart is a cooperative effort between Pharaoh and God...that Pharaoh sets his direction and God "hardens" it so that he cannot turn away from the consequences of his choices. He also began to discuss how believers' hearts are hardened...

It challenged me because I began to identify in the story with the Egyptians instead of the Israelites. Usually I think of how I am like God's people in the desert, confused, complaining, frightened, but ultimately under His grace. Instead I began to think of how I am like Pharaoh and his soldiers--stubborn, set on my own course, deciding that I will take on the God of the Universe! But, ultimately (praise God from whom all blessings flow!) I have been taken out of that hardness of heart, sometimes gently, sometimes roughly, and have been brought into a place of grace. I am grateful--because I know I am much more like Pharaoh than I am like Moses and yet I am forgiven.

Micah Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?