Friday, February 04, 2005

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (College Buddy, part 2)

The fun of friendship in college is adopting the passions of your friends. Tony & I had a friendship based on long intellectual conversation about great literature, big ideas, art, theatre and 80's technopop. OMD was his favorite band. They had it all-a cool British spelling of their name (Manoeuvres), pretty hair, infectious rhythms. I was hooked.



"If You Leave" was their one big US hit from the popular John Hughes film Pretty in Pink. Although some might consider them a one hit wonder in the US, they were huge in the UK and to us. To love a band that is underappreciated only adds to their coolness factor.

I haven't listened to them in years and wonder how they would sound to my grown-up ears.

Micah Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?