Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Blessings of Ordinary Chaos

The most wonderful invention of theologians and administrators in my seminary was Reading Week. I didn't appreciate it when I had it because it meant that exams were looming and I had just enough time to finish reading thousands of pages and write papers and study. Now, without the pressure of tests and grades, I desire to institute Reading Week...a vacation from all other duties except putting my nose in book after book and perhaps taking the occasional walk to process my thoughts. There are so many books on my list...Generous Orthodoxy, It Takes A Church, Reimagining Spiritual Formation, Mitford Series, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen....plus blogs, blogs and more blogs!

Also, I want to play with my blog...figure out sidebar stuff, publish a blog roll, polish it up, write pithy articles, inspire parenting excellence like Mega Mom , discover a new emerging paradigm in ministry like Tod Bolsinger , comment cleverly on popular culture like David Bruce, write killer short stories like Real Live Preacher, talk about the experience of postmodern womanhood like Deep Soil...

But this week instead is filled with the usual ordinariness of my week...important tasks all...preparing for a retreat, planning worship events, managing young ministers, raising children, washing laundry, teaching geography, reading great books to my kids, loving on my phenomenal (and cute!) husband...

So Reading Week will have to wait until I am old and lonely and wistful for the busy ordinary rush of motherhood, ministry and housework.

Micah Girl

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I love reading too, but there never seems to be enough hours in the day, especially with four kids and a distracting husband.

Some day I will sit in the meadow, as I recline on a lion and have eternity to put my feet up and read!

6:12 PM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

I have the distractions of a husband to be the most fun, if I have to give up reading!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?