Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pep Talk To Self

Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:7-8

Spiritual disciplines are all about training myself to be godly, just like weight training and cardio workouts are training my body to be lean and healthy. Fitness, whether spiritual or physical, is a daily commitment to faithfulness, a series of small right decisions, whether or not I have an immediate payback. I choose to get up early, pray, read through the One Year Bible and meditate on what God has done, even if I would rather roll over and go to sleep. I stretch out my muscles, do repetitions with free weights, and move to get my heart rate increased, even if it would be easier to go blog-surfing and drink another cup of coffee. And afterwards my heart is stronger, my day is more purposeful, and my outlook is brighter because of both of the valuable training exercises.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3


Micah Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?