Friday, May 12, 2006

Flee to the desert

"If the only prayer you ever said was "Thanks" that would be enough..."

I've heard this often and don't know for sure if this is true, but it's a good place to start. I do think we need prayers of repentance as well, but even those lead to thanksgiving...

I am struggling with my prayer life lately. Trying to know what is enough--wondering if I can achieve more significant depth, but just want to hear from God.

He speaks to me--He did this morning. And yet I want more.

Lord, teach me to listen. Teach me to pray. Teach me to sit at Your feet.

I am re-reading Henri Nouwen's The Way of the Heart: Desert Spirituality and Contemporary Ministry. I am trying to do what he prescribes--

Flee

Be Silent

Pray

Lord, I believe. Help Thou my unbelief.

Micah Girl

2 Comments:

Blogger hip2b said...

I don't know where I picked this up, but it rests in my head...prayers have three parts - apologies, requests and thanks.
Its been part of my prayer life since I was a kid. I've never even thought to question it until this moment.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I think we all struggle at different times and in different ways with prayer...praying that you will find that time to be with God, to hear his voice, and that you will be blessed.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?