Sunday, April 30, 2006

"Wisdom" as an idol

11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

Ecclesiastes 12:11-13

I just left a professional conference with days of seminars and teachings and speakers. Some of them were highly interesting and others were less than stellar. I am such a student by nature (probably why I do collegiate ministry) that this kind of thing is my manna from heaven. My PhD fantasy life kicks into high gear: "If I went back to school (again) and got a doctorate I could teach and write and become a professor!" (And it's not that I don't currently teach and write and influence college kids, but it's in a different forum.)


But I never want to forget the warning of Ecclesiastes that "of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body." The point is not to pursue wisdom in and of itself, but to pursue the One who is Wisdom. To live out truth on a daily basis is more important than "knowing" more truth. The whole duty of humanity is to fear God and keep His commandments. Simply, humbly, totally. Perhaps part of God's plan for my future includes my PhD fantasy, and perhaps it is to continue to do what I do today:

  • Love Jesus and follow Him, seeking to be transformed by His power in my life
  • Love my husband and never sacrifice my marriage to the tyranny of the urgent
  • Love my children and nurture them in the love of God and family and teach them the joy of giving their lives away to God
  • Love my ministry team and my students and set a vision for them that honors God and allows them to live out their giftedness in a way that will impact our city and our world.
  • Seek to create intentional community wherever I go--to the homes of my extended family, to my homeschool group, to church, to campus, to the library, to my neighborhood, to my kitchen table.
Father, Son and Holy Spirit--I ask you that this day you would show me what you have for me. Guide me in paths of righteousness for your name's sake. Allow me to serve You wherever I find myself and to be content.

Micah Girl

1 Comments:

Blogger Weekend Fisher said...

But how were TN and KY? (Ok, yes, I miss the countryside around there. I'd love to hear news of it.)

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?