Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Movie recommendations

Update on melancholic optimism...I am feeling lighter everyday. I don't like to keep secrets, not even about future plans that have not yet come to pass. The more people in my real life that I talk to, the lighter my heart becomes. And so far no earthquakes to swallow me up, no buildings falling down around me.

I have been watching and reading some very interesting stuff lately that I will be posting about soon. I really need to do more reviews because there is some terrific stuff out there.

Here are two quick recommendations for two very different movies:

Shakespeare Behind Bars is an incredible documentary about prisoners who put on a full production of The Tempest. The way these men handle the language is beautiful. Even more engaging, however, is watching them struggle with themes of grace and forgiveness. Very, very good. Available on DVD.

Stranger Than Fiction is in theaters now. Don't click the link for the trailer unless you're willing to see a few spoilers for the film. Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah in a very funny and surprisingly moving film about a writer with writer's block and her main character.

Micah Girl

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I was shocked by just how much I liked Stranger than Fiction ... If you had told me I would like a movie with Will Ferrell in virtually every frame, I wouldn't have believed, but I was impressed with how much he was able to tone it down without losing any of his comic timing

4:19 PM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

Will Ferrell really played it straight and the humor came out of the situations--not his buffoonery. It was really well acted.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?