Saturday, March 05, 2005

Pastoral Reading



Finally, I've started At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. It is such a wonderful world to enter. Father Tim, the bachelor Episcopal priest who pastors a sleepy town, is so endearing. His spirituality is so practical and integrated into his life, and the residents of Mitford are so quirky and realistic. Nothing about it is trendy, and it's so refreshing. It's been hard to put down. I became interested in reading it after hearing that this fictional account of pastoring had renewed the call to ministry of many world-weary pastors.


I've also recently re-read The Contemplative Pastor by Eugene Peterson. When I read it in seminary a few years ago, I really didn't get it. Now that I've been in ministry for several years and have grown in my understanding of myself as more than "just" a collegiate minister (and a woman at that!) I have realized that I am indeed a pastor. Peterson is also a practically spiritual, down-to-earth, called-to-the-core pastor like the fictional Father Tim. I have been so inspired by this book and plan to re-read it devotionally as well as collecting everything else he has written. Peterson is currently featured in two articles on Christianity Today Spirituality for all the Wrong Reasons and Hospitality Incarnate . I so admire him and want to make him one of my mentors from afar.

Micah Girl

2 Comments:

Blogger ~pen~ said...

*at home in mitford* is one of those books when you finish reading certain parts, you close the book and hold it to your chest and say **!!oh!! that is so wonderful!!**

i am happy you posted over on my blog and will be reading over here and getting to know you --

blessings in your ministry :)

5:54 PM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

Loved it, loved it, loved it! I finished it in 3 days (not uninterrupted time, of course!) I am going to work my way through the series...but dare not even check out the next book from the library for a few weeks. I have WAY too much work I would likely procrastinate.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?