Tuesday, January 03, 2006

King Kong

For the first time in a long time I have seen the top two current films. I saw a special pre-screening of Narnia in early December and yesterday hubby and I saw King Kong. It was an amazing piece of filmwork. I can't imagine how special effects can get any more amazing, and then they do.

The film opens in a very convincing Depression era New York City, lovingly re-created. A man and his two daughters who walked into the movie just after it started turned around and asked us, "Ain't this supposed to be King Kong? Is this a preview or somethin'?" No, I assured him, this is indeed King Kong. A few minutes later he turned back to me because of our now warm and personal relationship and said, "Are you sure this ain't the Producers?" No, sir, indeed it is King Kong.

After setting the scene in NYC, the main action takes place on the mysterious Skull Island with the most frightening, apparently demon-possessed natives I have ever seen depicted in the movies. And then come the dinosaurs and giant bugs... Unbe-stinking-believable. Hubby loves a big screen movie for a date and this one did not disappoint.

I appreciated the lovely Naomi Watts as King Kong's human love interest because she played the role with intelligence and guts. Her character is the heart of the movie and she is no helpless damsel--she exhibits daring, strength and compassion.


Micah Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?