Thursday, February 08, 2007

Two 911 calls and other police action all in one night

This evening on the way to our weekly college worship service I saw a woman walking in the frigid air on the dark and busy HIGHWAY. This road has no breakdown lane and she was walking as if she were on a sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon. I called 911 and told the police where she was because I was afraid she might get hit. I then continued to the church.

Later tonight when I was picking up students from campus to bring them back to the church, several blocks downtown were blockaded with cop cars and there were fire engines everywhere. I have no idea what was going on--but it was big.

Then tonight around 11:00 on my way home I saw a car that had crashed into a street lamp knocking it over. It had flipped over on its side on the median strip of the road near my house. Of course, I had to call 911 once again.

A man was frantically trying to see whether or not someone was inside the car. I pulled over to get out and see if I could help. The airbags had deployed but it was dark so we couldn't see much. The car was smoking. We called out "Is anyone in there?" but received no response. I shouted, "The paramedics are coming--hang tight." There was a winter coat on the ground near the car that for a heart-stopping moment we thought might be a person crushed underneath. A woman ran down the street in her pajamas and said she had seen a young man running from the scene supposedly to get help. Other drivers stopped and reported seeing a kid in a short sleeve shirt wandering around up the street. A car turned around on the street to shine its lights on the car and we realized that it was empty. The fire engine and police car arrived and those of us who had gathered there filled them in on what was going on. Once they checked the car, the fire engine drove up the street looking for the kid who was probably injured. I drove up the main drag to go home, but also to kept an eye out for the kid. He was standing up a short ways on the medium strip. Another vehicle had stopped and was parked near him. He was shivering and dazed. I drove past him to see if he seemed okay. Realizing that he wasn't going anywhere, I turned around on the road to go back home. I saw the fire engine still driving around searching for him. I pointed up the street to where the kid was and then drove myself home.

What a wild day.

Micah Girl



Anonymous Steve said...

Wow, you're right, what a day!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?