Friday, January 12, 2007

Place

The power of place.

I am obsessed with it.

Thinking and praying about moving is my hobby. I visit realty websites and plug in four bedroom homes like a blue-haired, sparkle-jacketed octogenarian plays the slot machines. "JACKPOT! 4 BR, good zip code, wow--nearly 1/5 of an acre and only 150,000?"

I have virtual conversations with people I've never met and pour out my heart's desire about moving. "My husband and I are really looking for a welcoming community where we can plug in right away and where the kids can make friends. We'd love for them to have friends up and down the street."

I read the paper in Lexington online everyday. I know about the murder suspect who was let out on a reduced bail of $1,000 and never showed up for his electronic montitoring bracelet. A city-wide search ensued and he was found asleep in his own bed unaware of the manhunt. Almost comic.

I know that the University of Kentucky has the #9 ranked doctoral program in educational psychology--and that's the one I have my sights on.

I expect that when we visit Lexington in May we will be impressed, excited and nervous. I expect that we will have supernatural peace about the next steps for us. I expect that God will let us know--yes, this is the place for you to go.

I also keep in my mind and my heart the truth that the longing I have is not really for a friendly community with educational opportunites and lower cost of living. It's not for a four bedroom house in a great zip code that costs less than our townhome. It's a spiritual longing that never will be fulfilled. I am an alien and a stranger on earth. I am seeking after a country of my own--a heavenly one prepared by God himself. I find this country by faith and will not see it on this side of heaven. However, wherever we go we are to be faithful witnesses of the kingdom of God and ambassadors of heaven. Father, guide our steps.

Micah Girl

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?