Sunday, February 12, 2006

If all truth is God's truth, what about wisdom?


The bible is the ultimate source for wisdom and it's our guide for discerning if something is wise or not. It is not, of course, a geology textbook, an automotive repair manual, a guide to the stock market, or an index to 19th century French poetry. And there is wisdom to be found in all of these sources as well.

The more we are informed by God's Word, and His Holy Spirit, the more we can discern God's wisdom in all that is around us. Saint Augustine famously said, "All truth is God's truth." So the wonder of the internal combustion engine actually points back to him, because He created all the elements that someone figured out how to combine into an engine that could move a car. And a mechanic who can fix my engine is much wiser than me. And if that mechanic is a servant of God, and fixes my engine out of his love for Christ and his desire to serve others and to provide for his family, if he charges a fair price, and if he treats his co-workers with respect, then he is truly wise.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10

To become truly wise I must start with the fear and the knowledge of God. That is my foundation. Without this foundation, all of my wisdom is for naught, because it is not everlasting. With this foundation, God reveals Himself to me in my day-to-day duties, in my reading, in my working and in my playing. And all of my accomplishments, whether small or great, will point back to Him as the source of all that is good in my life.

Micah Girl

2 Comments:

Blogger wellis68 said...

Very good post, very good foundation. It's true that all truth is God's truth and so anything that is true is profitable. I would say that any wisdom without God is "for naught" might be an understatement. We can't emancepate wisdom from God, therefore, there's no wisdom at all without God. Sometimes we give the credit to the wrong things but God is always in the picture.

Good post.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

God's Word also says,

"All wisdom comes from the LORD and with him it remains forever." (Sirach 1:1)

Thanks for the thoughts.

XO

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?