Monday, August 28, 2006

How do you find your calling?

This topic is always on my mind because I work with college age students who are in the throes of this process. It's one of the most exciting parts of my work.

I also have young children who constantly discuss what they want to be and do when they grow up. My son wants to be a chef and run a restaurant. My daughters want to live in Switzerland and in Greece. They all want to get married and be parents and even discuss who their spouses might be. Fun stuff.

I, too, am trying to discern what I want to be when I grow up. Yes, I seem grown up, but I think I am heading for my next phase of life. Aren't we all supposed to have several careers these days? I love my work, but I wonder if there is more for me. Would it simply mean a change in location? Doing collegiate ministry elsewhere--maybe even (gasp!) in the bible belt? Or do I really live out the perpetual student fantasy and go back for a doctorate--perhaps in educational psychology so that I can help others find their calling??? I sense that I am going in a circle here, which is good because a circle is a discernible pattern. According to the Identity Code I am supposed to look for patterns in my life to discern the DNA of my purpose.

So is my calling to help others find their calling? Do I really need to go back to school to do that? Or do I simply continue shepherding those God entrusts to me? Do I do that here or do we pick up our lives and move where the real estate is cheaper, and we can perhaps be truly out of debt? I have my children for only a season and I never want to lose focus on them. They are my most important responsibility and I am grateful for a husband who is so intimately involved in their lives.

I know that I am obsessing over a transition that is at least one to two years in front of me. And yet, I want to know!

Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.

Micah Girl

4 Comments:

Blogger MicahGirl said...

Thanks so much. I'll check it out.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

micahgirl, I know that my denomination has a discernment process. You might check that out with yours.

10:44 PM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

Tell me more:-)

12:34 AM  
Blogger Questing Parson said...

The joy here is you are certainly not at a dead end, are you? Looks like all kinds of avenues are opening to you, or is it one avenue with a combination of callings lining the sidewalks?

Either way, I lift a prayer for you.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?