Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Emerging kick

I am on an emerging kick. Emerging church, emerging blogs, emerging women in ministry... It's old news on the internet, but I'm just really getting up to speed now-not with the trendy hipster part (that's just flash anyway) but with the theological basis for it all. I went to my local Christian bookstore to buy some of the foundational texts...A New Kind of Christian, Brian McLaren & Blue Like Jazz, Don Miller, but they were OUT! I've special-ordered them and they should be in within the week.

I am not interested in being "cutting edge" for the sake of pushing the envelope of the latest POMO thought, but I am interested in authentic Christian community. I have concern for the salvation of individuals, as well as their need for social justice now. I would like to see more women in positions of spiritual authority (which isn't about power at all, it's about submission to God and service to others!) I am really interested in www.solomonsporch.com a church in Minneapolis as well as the whole www.emergentvillage.com scene, especially the initiative about women in ministry.

I keep wondering if God is calling me not just to ministry, which I have been doing for years professionally, but also to the pastorate. Not because I presently have time for a full time pastorate (I'm homeschooling my kids!), and not within my denomination (no female senior pastors there!) but because my heart and mind keeps going back to it. I love my life right now overall, and the balance of ministry & home life that I have. I have my AAARGH frustrations, I have my financial insecurity regarding future funding, and I have a desire to be a woman in a key ministry position alongside of the men so that eventually the rest of the old boy network will really GET IT that women, as well as men, are called by Christ to serve others, to share the good news of the Kingdom and to make a difference in the world. It's never been about the power, it's always been about serving God and submitting to Him.


Mark 10:42-45 Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

MicahGirl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama - The Blog Directory Who links to me?